Financial Support

It's ok to ask what financial support is available to you as a foster carer.

We are here to answer any and all questions you have.

We now offer all our carers a free Max Card, providing discounts on activities and days out across the UK. 

Max Cards are an established scheme for foster carers, helping you create positive lasting memories for the children in your care.  As a valued NFA Fostering Family carer, you have the opportunity to receive a card assigned to yourself – not a child, making it easier to access discounts.

Let’s talk about fostering finances.

As a foster carer you will receive a generous fostering allowance when a child is in your care. You may also be exempt from tax on this allowance.

You’ll need to register as self-employed and pay NI contributions, and you might also be entitled to Working Tax Credit.

How much is the Fostering Allowance?

We really value our NFA Fostering Family carers and the children they care for, and we believe it’s really important for them to have a good quality of life. To discuss our fostering allowance further please contact us on 0800 044 3030 .

What does the allowance cover?

It’s intended to cover all the needs of each foster child including food, clothing, travel, activities, savings and so on. We provide clear guidance on how you can best spend the money so that the child has a healthy, happy and balanced life.

Will I be taxed on the allowance?

In general, foster carers are exempt from paying tax on the fostering allowance.

The exception to this would be if you are a foster carer with multiple placements or additional work that gives you an income above the current government threshold.

For tax purposes, foster carers are regarded as self-employed. You can find out more about this from HM Revenue & Customs.

Will I have to pay National Insurance?

All foster carers must register as self-employed and pay National Insurance contributions. Find out more by contacting the newly self-employed helpline.

Do I qualify for tax credits or additional benefits?

Fostering counts as self-employment, so you may be entitled to Working Tax Credit and also Child Tax Credit if you have children of your own.

Find out more about tax credits and check to see if you are eligible.

Can I claim any more benefits?

To find out if you are eligible for any additional benefits or fostering allowances, please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you are interested in becoming a foster carer, find out more about how to go about fostering a child with NFA Fostering Family. You can start your fostering adventure with us today by enquiring online and someone will get back to you to start the process.

Start Your Adventure

We'll give you a call, answer any questions you have and go from there.
    You can opt out of contact from NFA Group at anytime. See our privacy policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Start your fostering journey with NFA Fostering Family

  • We’re 14 close-knit independent fostering agencies
  • Over 3,500 carers already part of our family
  • Benefit from our local support groups and social workers

Start your fostering journey with NFA Fostering Family

Start your adventure