How can I become a foster carer?
Many people can become foster carers:
- To become a foster parent or carer, you can be married, co-habiting, single or divorced.
- Couples will need to arrange their working hours so that one carer can be available full time.
- Single foster carers will need to be at home full-time, or have flexible, part-time employment.
- You may be a home owner or a tenant.
- You will need a bedroom for the exclusive use of the foster child.
- We welcome applications from all ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds.
How am I financially affected?
In becoming a foster carer, there are financial aspects to consider:
- You will receive a fostering allowance when a child is in your care.
- You may be exempt from tax on the allowance.
- You must register as self-employed and pay NI contributions.
- You may be entitled to Working Tax Credit.
NFA for foster carers
Good foster parents provide a safe, secure and nurturing family environment, allowing foster children to stay in touch with their families whenever possible.
After the great success of the nationwide Carer Consultation Meetings, we are pleased to announce more dates:
North West - Tuesday 29th April 2014 - Time 11.00 - 14.00 - Location Warrington Office
North - Wednesday 4th June 2014 - Time 11.00 - 14.00 - Location TBC
North East - Wednesday 25th June 2014 - Time 11.00 - 14.00 - Location TBC
To become a foster parent, you need to be available full time and have:
- The time and energy to invest in a child or young person
- Flexibility, patience and understanding
- A bedroom for the exclusive use of the foster child
There are three ways to apply to become a foster carer:
- Call 0845 200 4040
- Request a callback (use the button on right hand side)
- Register online
Discover what it’s like to be a foster carer - read first-hand accounts from some of our amazing foster parents.
Mark is Ben’s foster parent. Ben has ADHD
Claire is currently looking after four foster children - including a four month old baby
Welcome to Rewardlines, your online foster carer referral scheme.
Come and meet us
Our next event is at
- Fostering in Walthamstow - Monday 21 Apr 2014