Bridging Retainer Payments

Foster care brings challenges as well as rewards. One challenge we don’t want you to have is the worry of an irregular income. We offer our foster carers the financial security of weekly Bridging Retainer Payments, plus a one-off payment when you accept a new foster child.

What are Bridging Retainer Payments?

These are weekly payments that are made to you in between foster placements to give you the peace of mind of knowing you have a regular, reliable income and financial security. In addition, you will also receive a lump sum payment at the start of your next placement. Our foster carers tell us just how much they value the security of this financial ‘safety net’.

Who is eligible for Bridging Retainer Payments?

You will qualify for Bridging Retainer Payments if:

  • You are available for fostering but currently have no children placed with you.
  • You have been an approved foster carer with National Fostering Group for one year or more.
  • You have not already received six weeks of Bridging Retainer Payments in any rolling 12-month period.

Ultimately, all decisions on eligibility are at the discretion of your local National Fostering Group agency’s registered manager.

Need more information about foster care pay?

If you would like more information, please fill out our enquiry form. If you ask for a call back, a fostering advisor from your local National Fostering Group team will get in touch to explain more about how to become a foster carer, and answer any questions you have about foster care pay and Bridging Retainer Payments.

Start your fostering journey with National Fostering Group

  • We have fostering agencies all across the UK
  • Over 3,000 carers already part of our family
  • Benefit from our local support groups and social workers